top of page

WFA National Cup


WFA National Cup - Third Round - 18th June 2022


Highworth 2 Winchester 0


Winchester gave a good account of themselves but were knocked out of the Walking Football Association (WFA) Pharmacy2U Over 60s national cup in the south west regional semi-final at Swindon on 18 June.

The match started haltingly as the referee was quick to penalise both sides for frequent running offences and also contact fouls as the rain began to fall.

Highworth opened the scoring in the eighth minute when a free kick was tapped to Mel Miller who hit a worldie past Steve Herbert.

Winchester grew into the game and Barry Poffley saw his 10th minute shot tipped away for a corner and Martin Kukla was just wide three minutes later before Miller again went close.

Winchester started the second half strongly, Kukla forcing another tipped save, Poffley seeing the goalkeeper dive to save his effort, Ian Dowson intercepting before shooting over and Simon Davitt having his shot deflected for a corner.

As Winchester began to tire and their press dropped Highworth started to game manage successfully and with three minutes left Colin Smith lost his marker on the edge of the area and Herbert could only parry his shot into the net.

Winchester: Steve Herbert, Dave Kirkby, Barry Poffley, Simon Davitt, Ian Dowson, Martin Kukla. Subs unused: Michael Clarkson, Peter Navins, Brian Mustoe.

See the squad photo here.



WFA National Cup - 3rd Round draw.

Highworth (Swindon) away to be played 11 a.m.  on Saturday 18th June 2022.

Winchester have been drawn away to Highworth (Swindon) in the third round of the Walking Football Association Over 60s National Cup.

Highworth won their second round match away at Gosport 5-1.

In the other south west regional semi-final Clevedon are at home to Weston-Super-Mare.

See the full draw here.

WFA National Cup - Second Round - 22nd May 2022

Winchester 2, AFC Bournemouth 0

Winchester Walking Football Club gained a well-deserved victory over AFC Bournemouth in the second round of the Walking Football Association (WFA) Pharmacy 2U Over 60s national cup at Silverlake Stadium, Eastleigh, on Sunday, 22 May.

Martin Kukla scored a goal in each half, the first a half-volley and the second a well placed side foot into the net to send Winchester into the third round.

Winchester thought they had scored through Steve Nash in the seventh minute from a quickly taken free kick, but the referee indicated he had not blown his whistle and ordered it to be retaken. However, a minute later Kukla hit the opening goal.

Bournemouth goalkeeper Phil Thorpe was in constant action to deny several promising efforts from Nash, Kukla and Ian Dowson. Winchester had a further goal from Barry Poffley disallowed because Kukla was penalised for running in the build-up play.


Bournemouth started the second half strongly and George Hoy and Geoff Budden both saw shots well saved by Steve Herbert. In the 25th minute Poffley intercepted on the halfway line and played a through ball to Kukla who side-footed in his second goal. The game continued to swing from end to end with both teams going close, Kukla having two shots blocked in quick succession, and John Blake for the visitors going just wide. In the final minute both defences held out with good blocks by Dave Kirkby and saves from the goalkeepers.

Winchester squad: Steve Herbert, Dave Kirkby, Ian Dowson, Steve Nash, Barry Poffley, Martin Kukla, Richard Walker, Rick Parker, Brian Mustoe.

See Gallery for team photos.

Link to the full WFA National Cup Second Round draw. Winchester have been drawn at home to Bournemouth.


Link to the full WFA National Cup First Round Results.


WFA NATIONAL CUP - First Round - Eastleigh v. Winchester, 10/4/2022.

Winchester took the lead in the 19th minute through Steve Nash. Eastleigh made two substitutions at half time, but Winchester increased their lead in the 29th minute through Ian Dowson following good work down the left flank by Barry Poffley. Eastleigh made a further substitution and pulled a goal back in the 32nd minute through Steve Prout. Winchester goalkeeper Steve Herbert made two fine saves before Richard Walker limped off to be replaced by Brian Mustoe after 35 minutes. Dave Kirkby led  the strong Winchester rearguard action and Herbert made three more excellent saves as Eastleigh unsuccessfully sought an equaliser.

WFA National Cup - First Round Draw

(this opens a multi-sheet spreadsheet - go to the 'Over-60s' tab to find WinchesterWFC).

bottom of page